Blog Note:

The latest installment will always show up at the top of this blog, but to read the entries sequentially (recommended), start with the introduction just below the latest post and read down from there.

Introduction to the series: Read The Book Doug

If a Christian encounters someone who wants to discuss the bible, holds strong opinions about the bible but has never read the bible, what would we imagine the Christian's response would be? What would a rational and appropriate response be? “Hey, perhaps you should study up on the bible, huh?”

It's no different with science. You don't have to agree with every conclusion - scientists themselves can't even come to pure unity on that. This internal discord and disagreement highlights though the beauty of the scientific method – it's driven to improve the accuracy of knowledge. If you want however to knowledgeably engage on a topic (let alone hold informed opinions on the it) it only makes sense to study up on it and understand it before nailing down a position.


After spending more than 30 years in the heart of science and technology, I returned geographically to my Southern SDA roots recently. Surrounded by a far more conservative crowd than I had grown accustomed to, I was frankly stunned by the low level of science education exhibited by the generations down from the folk I had left behind decades earlier. What I quickly learned however is that there is an eagerness in the new generations (and in some of the old) for factual information. There is a solid undertow of “We've been misled and even lied to by people we trust.” ripping just below the surface.

With the internet, it's extremely hard to isolate and sequester people from the knowledge that was intentionally kept from me in my younger days. While of course the internet contains a morass of conflicting information - much of it rubbish, it also allows one to connect almost directly (and often even directly) to the top scientists in their fields if one wishes.

If one is interested in scientific knowledge, no longer does one need rely on the popular media outlets as a primary source (they are most interested in getting paid for your click on their sensationalistic headline, not accuracy). You can now view lectures and download data, studies and articles from the best and the brightest of both scientists and educators. (I highly recommend Kahn Academy and TED as excellent starting points).

Recently I saw a video by SDA evangelist Doug Batchelor of 'Amazing Facts' fame (or infamy as I quickly came to see it). The topic was “Evolution, Creation and Logic”. As someone smartly put it in the comments section of the video “Someone should fact check this presentation.” I suggest we do it together.

Here are the links to both the video and text material I will be covering.

Video link:
Click here for original video from Batchelor's website

Text link:
Click here for original text from Batchelor's website

The series won't be about the claims of Batchelor alone – he's hardly the first (and not even the best) to play the 'bad science theater' YEC game. Price, Morris, Lammerts, Burdick, Gish, Hovind, Ham, Baugh and Comfort to name a few have excelled in the realm – but we'll start with Batchelor just because SDAs (here in the US at least) tend to think he's the bomb.

As time allows, I'm going to produce and post an ongoing series here I loosely call “Earth science tools for fundamentalists”.  I'm reasonably qualified to do this as I share both knowledge in the sciences and a history of being raised fundamentalist - I understand their objections.

If you're the type (like Batchelor) that spouts 'amazing facts' about science without actually doing the work to get the amazing facts, or if you insist that the physical evidence for the flood is “solid” and can never be swayed from that no matter what you are shown, then this series probably isn't for you.

If you regularly say things like “Nothing you could ever show me could convince me of … [whatever]” then I take you at your word that nothing I could ever show you could convince you of … [whatever] and yield to your closed mind. On the other hand, if you want to understand what science actually is and actually claims and actually does (even if you disagree with its conclusions), I think you may find value in this series.

I will not be attempting to prove the bible as a whole wrong here as the bible got a lot of things right, but I will demonstrate that certain interpretations of the bible do not square at all with the physical evidence.

Do you think the scientific community is wrong about certain things? Excellent – you're in good company as good science is all about disagreement and debate over evidence (but don't forget to bring the evidence). Do yourself a favor though and at least attempt to understand what the other side is presenting rather than make up false, dishonest and contradictory arguments as Batchelor does on the topic.

Science is far from perfect. Science is acknowledged to have only dipped its proverbial toes in a vast ocean of knowledge. So far however, when it comes to how we understand the natural laws and use them to our betterment, science has demonstrated over the long haul a rather consistent ability to sort out fact from fiction. Science is a process – engage it.

I will close this intro with a quote from one of my favorite scientists – Francis Collins. Francis is one of the top scientists in the world (look him up) and a born again Christian. In science Francis follows the evidence and in spirituality he follows his faith and his heart. Though I don't agree in any way with his theology, I respect him greatly both as a scientist and a man.

“I believe God did intend, in giving us intelligence, to give us the opportunity to investigate and appreciate the wonders of His creation. He is not threatened by our scientific adventures.” Francis Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment